Saturday, August 30, 2008

Our Inheritance

Psalm 16 sometimes known as The Psalm of Confidence! I think we could all use a dose of confidence at times, couldn't we? This will look long, but it really isn't! I put the Psalm on here in case you don't have your Bible with you! Here it goes! Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge. I said to the Lord, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing." As for the saints who are in the land, they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight. The sorrows of those will increase who run after other gods. I will not pour out their libations of blood or take up their names on my lips. Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore, my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay, You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence. with eternal pleasures at your right hand. This is a beautiful Psalm. I love ending. We will however, focus on verses 5 and 6 for the message that Beth Moore brought us. Our Inheritance! We're gonna make our theology of Heaven our reality. We know that when we have accepted Christ, we are going to live with Him for all eternity in Heaven. The problem is, (if we're honest),we think that we are going to be bored. We make comments such as; "What are we going to do up there FOREVER!" "I'm not ready to go yet, because there is still stuff here that I want to do!" "Are we just gonna sing and sing and sing and that's all we are going to do?" "What are we going to look like?" Paris Hilton made a comment that the worst sin, would be for a princess to be boring! Well, maybe that's not exactly the truth huh? But, let's look at what God thinks of us. In Romans, 8:15-17, it tells us that we did not receive a spirit that makes us slaves again, we received the Spirit of Sonship! We are God's children! We are an heir of God. We are co-heirs with Christ himself! We are an heiress of God! Indeed, we will share in His Glory! If we could get it through our head: I AM AN HEIRESS OF GOD! We should not be boring! Salt and light are not boring! They bring flavor and help brighten up the world and lives around them! We should be as Salt and Light to the world! Never boring! Gen___INHERITANCE THEME___Rev 22:17,18 21:7 OLD covenant + (the cross) NEW covenant The inheritance theme was displayed throughout the OT and NT scriptures from Gen to Rev. Gal 3:8 refers to the gospel in advance in Gen. 22: 17,18. God tells Abraham to sacrifice his firstborn son, Issac. Abraham was faithful to obey God. God provided a ram that was caught in a thicket of thorns- that took the place of Issac. Abraham feared God and God provided for Him. God again spoke of His Inheritance. Look at the parallels from OT to NT. The gospel was being told even then. Ram and Jesus, innocent blood that took the place, thicket of thorns. COOL! When inheritance is talked about, there are always 3 elements: Presence- When we talk about inheritance, usually someone has died and their presence is no longer with us. However, when Jesus died, His presence is now with us through the Holy Spirit, he will never leave us nor forsake us. We have already inherited His Presence! People- part of our inheritance are the people around us- at work, school, church, family... Property- In Numbers 26:52, they took a "roll call" and divided the people into their tribes and then according to how many there were, they were assigned property. They were assigned their portion of property. v.5-6: You have assigned to me my portion! My lot is secure! My boundary lines have been set up in pleasant places! My inheritance is beautiful! We are an heiress of God! Our inheritance is beautiful! Over the next week, I will post the 8 points that Beth taught us about our inheritance. Hope you enjoy it!

1 comment:

Michelle V said...

Bridgette - great post! I keep going over and over my notes because this stuff is just so meaningful!

Blessings
Michelle