Friday, August 15, 2008

Level of Santification

I started a new thing. In Believing God, we are challenged to a personal level of santification. So, I started thinking about what I needed to do or to give up. God has been laying on my heart for sometime to teach my children what I'm learning. I've tried different things and it's been very challenging with the age differences that we have. But then, again, 2 Peter 1:3-4 came to me. I started reading over again and ideas started to form! This is what I'm gonna do. I myself will get up at 5:30 for my own quiet time. Then I will make sure everyone else is up at 6, Pat is generally already up but it will take a good 15 minutes to get the kids up. We'll all come to the table and have our juice, milk, coffee, whatever. At around 6:25 or 6:30, the kids should be awake enough to retain something! We'll do a short scripture and prayer before everyone heads out for the day. This has been something that has been on my heart for a long time. Starting off everyone's day, not just mine, with a word. Something they can take with them and call on when they need it. So, here's what we are going to start with. How to be Godly and Participate in the things of God. These are some things I jotted down to myself pertaining to what 2 Peter 1:3-4 says:

1. He has given us everything we need so that we can be Godly.

  • What is it we need and what has he given us?

2. He has given us His very great and precious promises so that we can participate.

  • What are his promises to us?

3. He has given us examples in His Word of others who have participated.

  • Who are some people that have seen God's promises and lived by this principle?

I paraphrased this verse, according to each kid, and wrote it on an index card for them. We read over and discussed it's meaning and the topic that we will be learning about. Then we put the index card in their bookbag so that they would have it with them. We even wrote it down for us and are carrying our index card! We are going to take a few months to learn about different Godly men and women in the Bible. We will take a close look at how they relied on God's knowledge and His promises, and they participated in God's will for thier lives and escaped the corruption of the world. The first person we will learn about will be Noah. It will take several months to learn about the different people because we will only discuss and pray for about 5 mins each morning. Just to give them a nugget for the day. Then once a week, we can have a devotional and go into a more detailed lesson/discussion on each person.

I pray that this will work a little easier for us as a family. Not only is it helping us to have a family moment around the table, but it is also teaching them to start their day with God. It will be challenging at times I'm sure! Rebecca likes to get up early and she's not so bad, Tanner is a little grumpy but then perks up, and Randy, well, he's a teenager! I don't think I have to elaborate futher!

I'll keep you posted on how our mornings go!

No comments: