Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I've got my mind set on you...

George Harrison was setting his mind on someone... and it was gonna take money and time. Lots of money and precious time, to get it right. Well... we aren't gonna sing that song! But, we are gonna look at ourselves, and ask,

What do we have our minds set on? and

What is it gonna take to get it right?

These scriptures were in my study last week and I started writing down some things that came to my mind, (that dangerous place!), and I thought that I would share them with you.

Daniel 10:12,

Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them.

Daniel set his mind on gaining understanding...of what?

Back in chapter 9:2, he says,

I, Daniel, understood from the scriptures, according to the word of the Lord, given to Jeremiah the prophet...

The Scriptures!

Daniel set his mind to gain understanding of the scriptures. He had studied the word of the Lord that was given to Jeremiah the prophet. As these things that Jeremiah had foretold, were coming to life before Daniel, he knew what was happening, because he had set his mind to gain understanding of the scriptures. Daniel was a man of the Word.

Daniel set his mind to humble himself before God.

Next, in Daniel 9:3, it says, I turned to the Lord God and pleaded with Him, in prayer and petition, in fasting and in sackcloth and ashes.

He studied the Word of the Lord. He understood what was happening to his people and in the culture around him. He had knowledge and understanding of the scriptures. So, he humbled himself before God, on behalf of his people, the people of Israel, pleading with Him to have mercy on them and forgive them of their sins. He begged God to hear his prayer and act! He fasted and clothed himself in sackcloth and ashes. He was deliberate in his prayer and he set aside time. He set his mind to humble himself before God. Daniel was a man of prayer.

I don't know who George Harrison had his mind set on, but I know who I want to set my mind set on! As we see things happening around us in the culture we live in, we have got to be deliberate about setting our mind on gaining understanding and humbling ourselves before God. Like Daniel, we can be men and women of the Word! We can be men and women of prayer!

Next, we'll look and see what it's gonna take to get it right!

Have a good day!

No comments: